Uniqueness gets attention. When that uniqueness is intentionally designed to suit your goals, it produces the right kind of attention. That’s why it’s important to consider how to use design to create a one-of-a-kind dental experience for your patients and families.
Your dental practice faces competition so distinguishing yourself from other dental professionals is important. Doing that can and should involve a unique dental experience – including certain features:
- Your facility’s physical environment
- Your services
- Your patient experience around your services.
Innovation at each of those levels helps you create and sustain the brand of atmosphere you desire for your patients. Uniqueness at every level will help you stand out from the competition. Create a memorable patient experience through dental office interior design and decor.
HOW TO USE KEY DESIGN FEATURES TO CREATE A UNIQUE DENTAL EXPERIENCE AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPETITION
Go for a “Feeling”
Create a vibe with design.
You know that sense (feeling) you get when you walk into a particular business, restaurant, event, etc.? There’s a certain “vibe” that arises – starting with how the space is designed.
Design engages your patient’s emotions. And as a dental professional you want to tap into the right emotional response from the moment they arrive on your property.
- Put patients at ease throughout each zone of your practice – including the clinical area.
- Inspire confidence in your services with the technology you select and how you showcase it and inform patients about it.
- Use sensory and emotional connect-points to create the atmosphere conducive to the specific services you provide to patients/families.
Add Some Color
Calming greens and warm browns.
Certain color schemes have a recognized impact on emotions. When selecting a color palette, begin with the emotional appeal you want to elicit.
For example, blues and greens are often confirmed by therapists as the easiest colors to focus on. Each color is also noted to have a calming effect on those exposed to them.
Even so, you aren’t limited to greens and blues. In fact, other color schemes can create a unique dental experience for your patients as well.
- Natural colors (e.g. browns), wood tones, and stone masonry can create a cozy feeling throughout your practice or in certain areas.
- Modern, trendy colors as you would experience in a coffee shop might be the brand of atmosphere you want to create.
Bottom line: like with other unique design elements color creates a comfortable, familiar feel that helps put patients/families at ease.
Use Natural Appeal
Big windows let in natural light and look out on a calming view.
Natural lighting and exposure to appealing outdoor views help create a unique dental experience. The ambiance created by natural lighting produces an energizing response much like being in direct sunlight.
- Exposure to natural features gives your patients and your staff a welcome emotional boost.
- Where possible consider facing your dental chairs toward outdoor areas that are visibly appealing.
- Use lighting solutions that mimic natural light.
Learn more about how colour and natural features can positively affect patients through our free white paper on Alleviating Anxiety in Pediatrics through Kid-Friendly Themed Environments.
Keep it Light, Creative, and Entertaining
Video game entertainment for multiple ages
Think creativity with a purpose. The use of entertaining and creative design can produce a unique dental experience for kids and adults.
Entertainment can be informative as well as visually stimulating. Keep this in mind especially as you design around your patient base.
- Use entertainment features appropriate to your dental practice’s age demographic(s).
- Inspire trust and comfort with creative design that appeals to your patients/families.
Gain Some “Wait”
Provide chairs that accommodate patients/families of all ages and body types.
Your patient waiting area is more than a room. It’s a space that can be maximized for to create a unique and comforting experience.
The waiting or reception area of your practice is where patients/families relax and calm their “nerves” prior to their appointment. A unique waiting area requires intentional design.
- Position your chairs for patient comfort rather than traditional space maximization.
- Provide chairs that accommodate patients/families of all ages and body types.
- Give patients/families mental-space through free wifi, informative and entertaining video content, family-friendly video streams, relaxing (low-volume) music suitable for all ages, etc.
A family photo hangs in the waiting room of this dental office.
The more attention to personalization-detail the more your patients will get acquainted with you and your team. Personal touches help build trust and eliminate the overly clinical feel of your practice and facilities in general.
- Post professionally framed personal photos and memorabilia throughout your facility.
- Theme your practice decor using local artwork, photos, and more that showcases your community connection.
Patients and families “feel” something the moment they arrive on-site. Managing that “feeling” starts with how intentionally you’re designing a positive patient experience.
IT’S A GOOD TIME TO IMPROVE YOUR PATIENT EXPERIENCE
Take your patient care and engagement to new levels. You’ll stand-out from other service providers when you provide a unique dental experience.
Invest in Your Patients
Valuing your patients and their families sets them up for a lifetime of positive health outcomes. And the environment you set can help you achieve a better patient experience.
- Reduce patient anxiety and enhance their relaxation
- Prime patients and families for their appointments
- Create positive dental care experiences
Invest in Your Business
Maintain your edge in the crowded dental service space. Attention to details in your space can transform your environment and the overall patient experience.
- Create “buzz” in the community you serve
- Accelerate patient referrals
- Generate positive online reviews
Check out these helpful, related resources to upgrade or renew your patient experience:
Contact Imagination Design Studios (IDS) to get started transforming your office from a mundane to magical patient experience.